Give a few hours & gain some wonderful memories in return …
If you love animals and people and you have some time to volunteer, we have a range of programs that may be a great fit for you. Haku Baldwin Center relies on volunteer assistance to provide our programs to the community year round. Our services are provided at no cost to children & adults with special needs, military veterans, seniors, and patients of all ages.
TO APPLY: review the programs listed below, download the application form(s) and submit by email or regular mail. Use our Contact Page to reach us with any questions.
Minimum age to volunteer is 16 years old.
Visiting Maui? Learn more about our VACATION VOLUNTEER PROGRAM
Therapeutic Riding Program (TRP):
- Monday and Tuesday from 1:45 – 4:45 p.m., at our Makawao facility.
- Provides therapeutic horseback riding sessions to children with special needs, aged 2 thru 17.
- Side-walkers: walk next to the child on horseback during therapeutic sessions. No horse experience is necessary. Volunteers also help to set up and break down the indoor obstacle course each day.
- Horse leaders: a horse leader test is required and a minimum of 3 years experience with horses is preferred.
- Quarterly volunteer training and appreciation days are held at our center.
- All training is provided.
- DOWNLOAD: TRP Volunteer Application Form
Animal-Assisted Therapy & Activities (AAT/AAA):
- Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 8:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. Times may vary depending on the facility.
- Volunteers assist with animal-caretaking tasks, loading and unloading animals, visiting each facility and spending time with residents, patients and clients during therapy and activities sessions at different locations around Maui.
- All training is provided.
- An unpaid internship is also available within this program.
- DOWNLOAD: AAT-AAA Volunteer Application Form
- DOWNLOAD: AAT-AAA Internship Application Form
Humane Animal Education:
- Animal-Assisted Therapy and Activities volunteers assist with classes, which are provided by appointment, inviting special interest groups to our center for humane animal education classes.
- Interested in signing up your school, church or group for a class? Call us at 808-572-9129 to schedule.
- DOWNLOAD: Animal Ed Liability Release Form
Horsemanship for Veterans:
- Volunteer positions in the veterans’ program are open to experienced volunteers only. If you are a current HBC volunteer, please contact your Program Director for more information.
HBC holds different events throughout the year though our greatest need for special event volunteer assistance comes in the fall.
- DOWNLOAD: Special Event Volunteer Application Form
- Maui Special Rodeo – (date TBD). Provides a no-cost rodeo experience for children with special needs, in a safe and therapeutic environment.
- Fall Harvest Festival – (Sunday, October 23, 2016). Our biggest fundraiser of the year, HBC opens its grounds to the public, providing a family-friendly event that includes pony rides, petting zoo, carnival games, silent auction, food court, and much more.
- Use our Contact Page for questions about volunteering.
Thank you for your interest in volunteering at Haku Baldwin Center. We appreciate your time and send you our warmest aloha …